It's no secret that summer is by far the best time for outdoor activities. Barbecues, pool parties, and weekend getaways are all popular pastimes during the warmer months. If you're like most people, you'll probably spend some time outdoors this summer. And if you're like most people, you'll need an outlet to power your gadgets. That's where outdoor outlet covers come in handy! In this blog post, we will provide tips on how to change your outdoor outlet cover.
Why Change Your Outdoor Outlet Cover?
It's important to change your outdoor outlet cover because it protects your outlets from the elements. Outdoor outlet covers are made of weather-resistant materials that keep moisture, dust, and debris out of your outlets. This helps to prolong the life of your outlets and keeps them working properly. Additionally, changing your outdoor outlet cover regularly can help prevent electrical fires.
How Often Should You Change Your Outdoor Outlet Cover?
You should change your outdoor outlet cover every three to five years, or as needed. If you live in an area with high humidity, you may need to change it more frequently. Inspect your outlet covers regularly for signs of wear and tear, and replace them as needed.
What Are Some Signs That it's Time to Change Your Outdoor Outlet Cover?
The following are some of the signs that point to replacement:
- If you notice cracks, chips, or other damage to your outlet cover, it's time to replace it.
- If the cover is loose or doesn't fit snugly against the outlet, again, it needs to be replaced.
- Finally, if the cover is more than five years old, it's probably time for a new one.
What Tools are Needed?
To change your outdoor outlet cover, you will need:
- Phillips head screwdriver
- Flathead screwdriver
- Canned air
If you're not sure which type of screwdriver to use, look at the head of the screw. If there is one single line through the circle, you'll need a flathead screwdriver. If you see perpendicular lines or crosshairs, you'll need a Phillips head screwdriver. Or, if you're still not sure ask a hardware store employee for help.
How to Change the Outlet Cover
For most electrical installation projects, we recommend hiring a licensed electrician. However, changing an electrical outlet faceplate is an easy DIY electrical project for most people. However, if you do have worries about changing an outlet cover, you can always contact one of our Durham electricians for guidance. But if you're ready to get started, follow these steps and always remember to practice safety first!
In order to change your outdoor outlet cover safely:
- Step 1: turn off the power to the outlet at your breaker box.
- Step 2: remove the old outlet cover by unscrewing it from the outlet. Be careful not to drop the screws into the hole!
- Step 3: Once the old cover is removed, carefully brush away any dirt or debris around the opening. Even though the power is off, do not stick any cleaning utensils or spray any liquids into the hole.
- Step 4: line up the new cover with the opening and screw it in place.
- Step 5: turn the power back on at the breaker box.
- Step 6: test the outlet to make sure it's working properly.
Other Tips for Maintaining Outdoor Outlets
In addition to changing your outlet covers regularly, there are a few other things you can do to maintain them and effectively expand their lifespan.
- Make sure the area around your outlets is clean and free of debris. This will help keep dust and moisture from getting into the outlets.
- Use a surge protector for all your outdoor electronics. This will help protect your devices from power surges and spikes.
- If you have any questions or concerns about your outdoor outlets, consult a licensed electrician for help.
That's it! These simple tips will help you keep your outdoor outlets safe and working properly all summer long. Be sure to check your outlet covers regularly for signs of wear and tear, and replace them as needed. With a little bit of care, your outlets will be ready for all your summer adventures as well as the following seasons!
Final Word: Electrical Outdoor Outlet Cover Installation & Repair
Never do anything that you feel uncomfortable doing. We understand that what may seem simple to one person can be intimidating or difficult for another. That said, no matter how big or small the task, our team is here to help you!
The MSS Ortiz electricians in Durham can help with your electrical services including outlet repair or installation. While we are headquartered in Durham, North Carolina, our licensed electricians are spread across the state and will travel to the surrounding areas including Raleigh, Greensboro, Apex, Pittsboro, Holly Springs, Cary, Garner, and more!
Our team of electricians is available for you and your electrical problems whenever you need them the most. We will show up on time and analyze your electrical setup. We also do swimming pool electrical wiring, outlet installations, repairs, and lighting. For more information on our electrical services, contact us by filling out the form below or by calling us at (919) 382-0832.